Public Affairs Director, 5-7 years experience
The Herald Group is looking for a highly motivated, career oriented individual looking to gain further experience in public affairs and strategic communications.
A mid-level position, the director will be responsible for the day-to-day execution of client team activities with increasing client interaction, interfacing with client contacts, executing on new account programs, client initiatives and media relations projects, contributing to plans and strategies and overall servicing of client accounts in close collaboration with a Vice President. The candidate should be a team player and able to handle multiple tasks at the same time.
The Herald Group is a full service, bipartisan public affairs firm in Washington, DC, that provides strategic communications counsel to major corporations, trade associations and other organizations seeking to advance public policy positions in federal and state legislative arenas. For more information on the firm, please visit www.theheraldgroup.com. We provide a fast-paced, energetic work environment, and account managers will have daily interaction with senior staff and clients. This is a full time, paid position.
- 5-7 years of communications experience. PR agency or public policy communications experience preferred.
- Ability to recommend, initiate work and projects with minimal direction.
- Energetic, self-starter and resourceful problem solver – gets things moving and keeps them on track.
- Good interpersonal skills, works effectively in a team environment, can negotiate approvals diplomatically, and maintain composure and quality under constant deadline pressure.
- Ability to illustrate a results-focused approach and commitment to going the extra mile for clients. Experience working directly with clients using appropriate verbal and written communications skills
- A collaborative team member, with the ability to meet deadlines while managing and prioritizing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to write clearly and concisely on short deadlines while varying writing styles to target audiences.
- Understanding of and experience working with traditional and digital news media, with demonstrated skill at pitching and placing stories in a variety of media outlets.
- Experience drafting content for clients, including internal memos, press releases, op-eds and blog posts.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
Work may include, and is not limited to, any or all of the following:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of communications programs.
- Oversee the day-to-day management of client programs and client relationships, including media monitoring, issue research, project updates and internal team management.
- Serve as primary contact and lead for certain client projects.
- Build relationships and position self and firm as a strategic partner with clients, colleagues and relevant external audiences.
- Manage and coach junior staff on accounts.
- Consistently produce high quality internal and external communications content, including traditional media correspondence, op-eds, letters to the editor, strategy memos and plans, as well as writing for social media and the web.
- Develop client proposals and media materials in collaboration with client leads, including plans, presentations, reports, communications documents.
- Assist leadership with development of new business proposals and presentations.
- Contribute strategic and creative program ideas for client campaigns.
The Herald Group presents unique opportunities for advancement of innovative young professionals seeking to excel in a growing, fast-paced environment. Interested candidates must submit a cover letter with a resume to email@example.com, and may be asked to submit a writing sample or complete a writing test. For more information on The Herald Group please visit our website at www.theheraldgroup.com.