Vice President/Director, State & Local Government Affairs
The Herald Group is currently conducting a candidate search for a highly motivated, career-oriented individual with senior-level experience in issue advocacy and public affairs to serve as Vice President/Director of State & Local Government Affairs. The successful candidate will have significant government affairs experience in a multitude of states and possess a strong background in public policy issues. Heavy focus will be on deepening existing relationships and fostering new ones in states that are pivotal to current and potential clients. This role will also involve client management and providing strategic direction and guidance to clients to fully execute on account objectives. The ideal candidate is experienced on the circuit of state associations/political organizations (e.g. RAGA/DAGA, RGA/DGA, NCSL/ALEC, etc) for several years and has some established relationships within multiple states and relevant state organizations.
The Herald Group is a full service, bipartisan public affairs firm based in Washington, D.C., that provides strategic communications services to major corporations, trade associations and other organizations seeking to advance public policy positions in federal, state and international legislative and regulatory arenas. We provide a fast-paced, energetic work environment. This is a full time, paid position.
- 5-10 years of relevant experience in state & local government affairs, policy communications, grassroots/grasstops, issue advocacy, political campaigns.
- A skillful talent combined with an entrepreneurial mentality who has no problem networking and forging relationships with new people, in addition to performing management duties.
- Experience with successful management of state & local government affairs activities for multiple clients while keeping associated account team members focused and motivated to generate the best results for the client.
- Outstanding, proactive, detail-oriented project management skills. Ideal candidate will have experience with the implementation of complex, integrated advocacy campaigns. This includes client management, budgeting and organizational skills.
- Proven client relations skills with ability to be strategic, anticipate client needs and solve problems, as well as possessing strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Exceptional verbal communications and writing skills, with the ability to write both strategically and creatively under deadlines.
- Ability to implement creative and innovative solutions and demonstrate “big picture” thinking is a must.
Work may include, and is not limited to, any or all of the following:
- Oversee and manage our interactions with all state and local entities.
- Leverage proven track record at state level to and simultaneously provide value add to existing clients, while building deeper relationships along the way.
- Willingness for extensive travel to relevant meetings.
- Drive strategic direction of clients’ accounts.
- Leverage existing relationships and create new productive working relationships with key players in a number of states.
- Manage and motivate dedicated staff that are integrated with accounts.
- Build trust and become a valuable resource to clients specifically and the firm generally.
- Continually build understanding and knowledge of clients’ business, competitive and political environment; apply this information in presenting strategically focused state-level government affairs strategies and recommendations.
- Leverage expertise to expand THG’s marketing base and as a means to provide another entry point to new corporate clients.
- Engage in new business opportunities and other firm-wide initiatives as needed.
- Once practice is established and growing, recruit and manage additional junior personnel to expand reach and expertise.
- Take advantage of internal and external networking opportunities to enhance professional development and agency/office visibility.
- Coordinate with accounting department and oversee internal financials of state GR projects.
Other duties as needed.
The Herald Group presents unique opportunities for advancement of innovative professionals seeking to excel in a growing, fast-paced environment. For more information on The Herald Group please visit our website at www.theheraldgroup.com.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.